My first big fish


I've been fishing for probably about 30 years. Don't remember when I started or even why I started! I know there's a photo of me at about 8 or maybe younger holding up a tiny fish. My Gramps or Great Uncle Bill would take us when we were younger. As we grew up it was up to us to deal with the hooks, rods & prawns. We'd only go when we were on holidays - on one memorable occasion (can't remember exactly where it was) we managed to make a small jetty collapse! My sister & I would help our foster brothers with their lines etc.
Thing is we never really caught anything. The boys would sometimes catch little ones, but that was about it. When I married P, we also only fished on holidays - same thing. I nearly caught a stingray once, it took off before I landed it, same thing with an octopus. The last time we were in Narooma (about 2 years ago), I caught about 5 from memory, all thrown back because they were too small.
We're definitely not experts when it comes to fishing. P got talking to a bloke here at the caravan park & he told P the good times to go & where the best place in the inlet was to go. So that's where we tried. And we didn't do too badly. I got a 60cm flathead + 14 others that had to be thrown back. Jaz got a sole & Baz got a smaller flathead the other day. P nearly got a sole the other day, but because we didn't have a net it got away - we soon got a net! The only one who had no luck at all was M - he got a lot of nibbles & bites but that was it. We've been out in the boat 3 times in total so I think we did rather well!
So tonight we had a feed of flathead, chips & potato scallops. For those who aren't big enough to deal with bones or prefer the stuff from the shop, there was battered fish. Mum did ours in breadcrumbs & it was delish. I love potato scallops - especially homemade ones, which these were. Even better we also had sweet potato scallops.
A great end for our South Coast holiday that has gone WAY too quickly!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Camping

My First Blog Post

School Holiday Stitching