Sesamoidectomy

Yes I've had something removed! I didn't even know it was the name of the operation until I saw the paperwork at the hosptial. http://orthotics-4-heel-pain.com/sesamoiditis/ (a random site I googled to show what bone I had removed)

I had the operation 3 weeks ago.  For now I'm walking with one crutch, on the heel & right side of my foot. With a particularly attractive black shoe thing with velcro on the top & a hard sole so I can't bend my foot. I can scrunch up my toes when I'm resting but I can't bend it the other way (think of when you're walking, & you have your foot bent up ready to take the next step). From the top of my big toe down to the base of the ball joint was numb after the operation - would have hated to feel the pain if it wasn't! The feeling has been coming back into it though it's still fairly numb in spots. There's lots of tingling & today a bit of stinging so I think it's all going ok.

I hadn't really thought about how it would feel after the operation. Beforehand I was just so ready to get rid of the pain that's been constant for the last couple of years (the bone was broken, maybe up to 13 years ago when I first noticed pain in that foot).  Last week when the Dr took the stitches out it hurt when I put my foot down, now it doesn't hurt, but it feels weird - kinda like it's empty. I'm slowly starting to be able to move my big toe. I have a wound down the side of my toe & ball joint - I wear a sock thing over it + the black shoe.

My biggest concern at the minute is my ankle. Of course it's my right ankle which sprains if I step on a stone sometimes. It's been sprained & turned so often that it's really loose & weak. I was told by the Dr to have the crutch in my left hand which has made me a bit more confident. I can walk without it or without much weight on it, but prefer to have it. My foot drops down when I walk & I've already misjudged the ground a few times, kicking my toes.

I've been at work all last week - well half days at least. And very thankful that I only had to work half days. Walking is pretty exhausting. Fortunately P isn't working at the minute, so he's been in charge of the cooking, housework & the kids. I also can't drive so he has to drive me around. Cooking is a bit more challenging since we don't have a stove at the minute, but he's doing a good job.

Walking is definitely easier at this end of the week. I've hardly had to take any painkillers either. I'll see how I go, but the half work days will probably be helpful next week as well. Of course I chose the busiest time of year to have it done - new laptops arrive soon & have to be commissioned & handed out. I'm taking it easy up until then so I can get it done in the time I've got.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Camping

School Holiday Stitching

My First Blog Post