Everyday Travels

I love traveling. I love finding new places, checking out the coffee, op shops, gift shops & the local sights. With 3 kids, a husband, a full time job and living in a regional area, going to different places is a rare occurance. Travel is a semi regular part of our lives though. Living in out here means that we travel when we need to do things that aren't available in our town. Having family in Sydney means trips at least 4 times a year to visit. The good thing is that there are a few different ways we can get to Sydney. Mostly we go the 'quick' (if 8 hours in a car can be considered quick) way, sometimes we go the longer way & stay overnight just for something different.

I guess I'd always had the idea that traveling involved going to far flung, sometimes exotic places. The towns we drive through regularly have become part of the scenery, though mostly I don't see the scenery as my head is usually buried in a book!

Then I came across the blog 52 suburbs - the author has traveled each week to a different suburb of Sydney for 1 year. She takes fantastic photos of the sights, people & anything else that takes her fancy. She also talks to people, getting a unique view of the suburb & some interesting invitations to local events. She's finished up with going to the different suburbs & is editing her photos for a book.

I love the idea that something so ordinary as a suburb of Sydney can be made into an interesting & vibrant subject. Most of the 52 suburbs blog is photos with some commentary. Maybe that's why it is so interesting.

I started to think about how I could do something similar. 52 country towns sounds good but is physically impossible!! I can't see us travelling every weekend - not when only 1 weekend away causes the housework to head out of control. A trip to Tamworth via Bingara & Barraba (not the normal way we go) got me thinking about the towns we drive through all the time but don't take much notice of anymore. I hadn't been to Barraba before despite living out here for 16 years. Probably because of the photos in 52 suburbs, I noticed many of the buildings in the main street had tiled inserts at the front. We had stopped for food & coffee, but then also had to visit the chemist when SJ came flying off the curb & skinned her knees. I didn't get to take photos this time but will definitely be going back. The buildings there made me curious about the history of the place. Plus there was a Vinnies op shop there that wasn't open when we went through.

So the idea formed that I could start a blog talking about the towns we visit. Doesn't matter when, or how often. It could also be different suburbs in Sydney as well. I've been interested in checking out new suburbs for a while now.

We also just bought an old caravan so are hoping to explore a few more places when the van is ready to go on the road. I spent sometime looking for blogs, forums etc to give us some ideas about fixing up the van & found very little. There were lots of old old ones & plenty of brand new ones but not many from the 1980's. Maybe no one bothers to renovate vans like ours? I thought I may as well incorporate our progress with that project as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Camping

School Holiday Stitching

My First Blog Post